Meta-Leader of the Year Award
Each year, NPLI selects a program alumnus as the Meta-Leader of the Year. Honorees display extraordinary leadership in the midst of nationally or internationally significant crisis or disruptive change. Their leadership impact could apply to a response, policy development, or organizational transformation. A role model for our students, the annual recipient addresses our residential program.
Faculty members confer the award to the Meta-Leader who:
- Demonstrates remarkable character, including curiosity, courage, and confidence.
- Discovers and communicates situational insight that orients and engages followers.
- Builds connectivity of effort across the wide expanse of required people, leaders, and organizations.
- Inspires innovative action and productivity, aligned to the scenarios they face.
- Follows their moral compass, guiding by and guiding ethical decisions and actions.
Carol Cunningham M.D.
State Medical Director
Ohio Department of Public Safety
Founder and Chief Executive Officer
AC Disaster Consulting
Health, Safety, Security, and Environment, Schlumberger Limited
Massachusetts State Police
International Services at American Red Cross
Joplin Citizens Advisory Recovery Team
Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Resilience Policy
National Security Council, The White House
Martin Cetron M.D.
Division of Global Migration and Quarantine, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
William “Billy” Evans
Boston Police Department
Federal Emergency Management Agency
Rear Admiral Peter V. Neffenger
Deputy National Incident Commander
Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, U.S. Coast Guard
Richard Besser, M.D.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention