Preparing to Lead in Crisis Navigating Real-World Change and Complexity
Fall Session: October 3-19, 2023
Spring Session: April 4-20, 2023
This online training program delivers a concise and pragmatic framework for effective leadership during crisis and change. You will learn to build your presence as a leader, gain deep insight into the situations you face, and forge robust personal and institutional connectivity. You will leave the program better prepared to successfully confront complex challenges and navigate uncertainty.
This foundational program includes six, two-hour sessions over three weeks, featuring practical concepts, tools, techniques, and interactive exercises. You can enroll in Preparing to Lead in Crisis as a rewarding stand-alone program or as precursor to Leading When it Matters Most, our residential program.
Who Should Apply
- You are a professional on a leadership career track
- You have five or more years professional experience
- Lead a team of five or more people
- Work in the private, public, or non-profit sector
Top Industries Represented
- Government Administration
- Non-Profit Organizations
You Will Learn
- To advance your ability to lead immediately using the powerful, pragmatic Meta-leadership framework, tools, and techniques.
- To forge enduring, productive stakeholder relationships.
- How to act intentionally when facing high stakes challenges, inspiring confidence in your team.
- To confidently lead up to the superiors, down to subordinates, and across to peers and collaborators.
- Understand your own reactions and those of followers during crisis and change.
Requirements & Syllabus
Five or more years of professional experience and proficiency in written and spoken English. Our program design strongly encourages discussion and experience sharing among participants.
Session 1: Introduction to Meta-Leadership Framework
- Program goals
- Navigating complexity and change
- Meta-Leadership principles, thinking and practices
Session 2: Building “You” as the Meta-Leader
- Techniques and tools to develop a growth mindset
- Leadership brain function
- Identifying and manage biases
- The trap of the basement
- Strengthening capacity to apply your moral compass
Session 3: The Situation
- Understanding what is happening and deciding what to do
- Driving to the knowns and identifying obstacles
- Developing capacity to create a situation connectivity map
Session 4: Connectivity
- The power and importance of connectivity
- Leading up-down-across-and beyond
- Developing the capability to create the conditions in your organization or community of practice that offer the best chance for Swarm Leadership to emerge
Session 5: In-Depth Scenario-Based Exercise
- Review and reinforce key concepts and tools
- Apply the learning in a hands-on setting
Session 6: Your Path Forward – Driving Sustainable High Performance
- Applying the basic concepts of the Meta-Leadership Transformative Lifecycle
- Pivoting when the conditions of your work demand it
- Knowing when high achievement is sustainable